Thread: Cracked Screen?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
cmcfalls2
cmcfalls2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cracked Screen?

Greetings,

I have been lurking this forum for a couple of months, doing research and getting information before I received a Kindle from my wife for our wedding anniversary.

Now, less than 6 weeks later, I think my screen might be cracked. I keep my Kindle in a hard-backed case, so it's odd that anything would have come in contact with the screen.

But, about a week ago, a small speck appeared on the top of the screen, almost at the edge. It looked to me like a "dead pixel" on a TV, except it stayed on the screen even when the device is off. Now, that small speck has grown (still pretty small though) and has begun spider webbing out a bit. It's still only about the size of the letter "o" where it says amazon kindle. And, the good thing is that it is actually ABOVE where any letters are when I am reading a book, so it doesn't interfere.

I actually have a few questions. First, is this a cracked screen issue? If it is, it would have to have been something very small and pointed to make such a small crack. Which is VERY odd since I keep it in a case and have never dropped it or placed in into a backpack. To my knowledge, nothing has come in contact with the screen.

Second, if this is a cracked screen, will this continue to spread out and get larger? It seems like it would with repetitive page turning. But, I know that e-ink does not "leak," so I do not know if it will spread.

And, lastly, since it has been kept in a case, and it so minute that it might be an internal flaw, do you think this is covered under any warranty? The thing is less than 6 weeks old! I know I'm stretching on that, but I don't want to have to deal with this growing dead pixel if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help!
cmcfalls2 is offline   Reply With Quote