View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
chipf0rk
chipf0rk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
Quote:
I have been tinkering with various HTML-codes, but they all seem to only apply to the full dictionary lookup and not to the instant popup, which always render:

dictionary-word English translation other translation

Now, do any text formatting options actually exist that applies to instant popup?
I'm not sure what device you are using. I have a Paperwhite 2nd generation, and tried fiddling with a sample dictionary (the HTML file) a bit now. What I found out is this:
  • <br> and <p> work fine to force line breaks inside one dictionary page. <br> is preferable, because it does not add an indent on the left.
  • You have to use <br>, not <br />. <br /> was heavily misinterpreted by my Kindle and broke the entire parent tag.
  • You can also define multiple pages for one definition, as seen in dictionaries delivered with the Kindle. Doing this manually is easy: Just copy the <idx:entry> tag and the preceding <mpb:pagebreak> tag, and change the content (everything after <h2>, not <idx:orth> and <idx:key>). This will show up as two separate entries in the "full dictionary".

Quote:
I have another small problem in that a few of my dictionary lookups adds a number of sequential dictionary entries to the same instant popup, despite no apparent formatting errors and no problems with the entries in the full dictionary lookup. Can't really grok that one.
If I understand "sequential dictionary entries" correctly, this might be related to my last point above: Maybe you erroneously have duplicate keys for the same word, which will show up separated as pages.

Other than that, I'd be really interested in having the Icelandic-English dictionary in its current state myself, or at least a pointer to the source for your database that includes inflections. I only have a rather bad is-en dictionary at the moment which is auto-generated from dict.cc data and does not support any inflections. I'd be incredibly thankful if you could share your work with me here, as I can't find anything like this anywhere online.

DISCLAIMER: This is based on the manual research of an hour, after not being able to find anything on more knowledgeable sources than myself. What I'm saying might not be 100% correct, but it didn't break anything for me.
chipf0rk is offline   Reply With Quote