View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #66
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Speaking specifically of North American comics, their print aspect ratio is 3:2 (15:10) so when viewing a single page in portrait 16:10 is better than 4:3. Where the iPad really shines though, is with double-page spreads because they are in a 4:3 landscape orientation.

Still, for most comic readers a large 16:10 HD screen is the best available option.
Size-wise, I actually prefer the Nexus 7 1280*800 for reading in portrait. Maybe if the 10" tablets get a significant weight reduction, I'd like them better. For double-page spreads, though, I agree that 4:3 works best. However, I'm not sure if a 7.9" display even with retina would be comfortable enough for reading comics in double-page landscape mode. 16:10 could still have been okay for landscape but the issue with new Android tablets with ICS/JB is you don't get access to the full 16:10 resolution because of the status and navigation bars. That said, Apple's closed system is quite stifling so I've actually been looking into Android tablets with 4:3 2048*1536 displays. Right now, that's mostly China tabs but Archos is releasing a dual-core 9.7" Titanium HD and has announced a quad-core 9.7" Platinum HD. I don't think performance of either is quite up to snuff just yet but I give it a year or so and I expect we'll see inexpensive chipsets capable of driving FullHD or retina display resolution.

I find the iPad Mini very interesting primarily due to its weight. If Apple manages to maintain weight and battery life with a retina display version, it's a maybe leaning strongly towards yes.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote