View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 AM   #11
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
1) Is there a reason to prefer XHTML 1.0 over XHTML 1.1?
XHTML 1.1 is a bit "cleaner" (from the technical point of view), which makes it a bit more restrictive. That's a good thing, IMHO.

Quote:
2) How to choose the encoding? ie: what's best, most universal, least hassle?
If you want "one encoding to rule them all", go with UTF-8. Personally, I use the encoding that is best suited to each book in my OS (e.g. us-ascii for english books, windows-1250 for czech books). It helps with your 'readability of source" - it is far easier to read "â" that a sequence of two special symbols.

Quote:
4) I'm thinking to move all CSS to a separate file, any reason I shouldn't?
You definitely should!

Quote:
(BTW, the page-break-before: always; part -- is that specific to ebooks, or part of XHTML? 'Cause I've been wondering about how to hard-code that.
It's a CSS2 specification - every reader that supports CSS2 should be able to handle it, provided that the display medium can (e.g. page-breaks don't make sense with an "endless" screen of browsers).

Quote:
B) For readability of the source (something that is very important to me) I keep a lot of sectioning with vertical space. I see (and have seen elsewhere) horizontal tabbing as a visual aid. Any good reason to prefer one over the other? Or to not combine them?
It doesn't matter to XHTML - blank space is reduced to one space by a standard-compliant reader. Choose what appeals to you more.

Quote:
C) Lower case tags: correct usage for XHTML, right?
Yes. XHTML requires proper (which tends to be lower) case.

Quote:
D) Version information in comments -- I think this is a good practice, but for sharing would there be a better method?
Put it into metadata. <meta name="version" content="..." />
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote