View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I thought it was a fun read, but it didn't draw me in or make me care about the characters. I thought that some elements of the plot were confusing, but this may just be a generational thing. It's hard for me to think of "The Reds" as a unilateral force as opposed to a ragtag collection of communist countries such as exists today.

I didn't get some of the technology, either. I'm willing to put up with hand-waving and technobabble when things are explained, but there was not much exposition, it was just there.

I also don't care how macho someone is supposed to be, at a certain point of physical trauma or abuse, people go into shock and/or die. The firewalking scene was especially ridiculous.

I did like the way the author dealt with the bronze age stuff. There is a tendency among some authors to portray ancient people as stupid, and I did not see too much of that.

If other volumes in the series are available for $5 or less in a format that I can use, I might be convinced to purchase and read them.

Last edited by Fledchen; 01-25-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote