View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, it can be used to profile you for stalking or burglary. This isn't an opinion. Security experts recommend avoiding Nest or Ring.
I'm not talking about the inherent risk of using Nest or Ring devices themselves. That's another topic that is unaffected by Sidewalk being in play. I'm talking about Sidewalk itself. Users don't know whose Sidewalk bridge they're connected to. While Sidewalk itself is enabled by default, the "Community Finding" feature of it is entirely opt-in. And even then, it only gives an approximation of the location of the Sidewalk Bridge. Like the nearest intersection. Plus there's no information about the owner of the Sidewalk bridge that is exposed to the user.

I'm fine with people not wanting to share any of their internet bandwidth with every Tom, Dick and Harriet. But there's no reason to invent dangers that don't exist. Even in a remote wilderness with one house in the middle of 100 empty square miles, the only thing someone could discover about the homeowner through Sidewalk is that the home has an internet connection (when their device suddenly finds an internet connection in the wilderness). Something they could have easily discovered without Sidewalk.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-03-2021 at 08:43 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote