View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #372
markm
markm doesn't littermarkm doesn't litter

Device: Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
Al Gore probably heard a lot of the same kind of comments when he was inventing the internet, and look at it now.
The Internet is an example of technology that makes sense. It's provided cheep access to an almost unlimited wealth information and entertainment, while helping to drive down the prices of traditional brick-and-mortar goods. I pay around $400/year for Internet service but I derive many thousands of dollars in savings and other benefits by using it.

An e-book reader is an example of technology that makes no sense, at least not to a consumer. An e-book reader costs $400 + maybe $40/year in electricity to keep it charged. At $9.99 each, books are the same price or more expensive in digital format than paperback. Much more expensive if you factor in discount pricing (e.g., Costco, Sams Club, B&N discount, etc...), used book resale, and borrowing from the library. Once purchased, a digital book cannot be resold. I cannot stack my digital books on shelves in my library. I cannot sell, loan or donate my digital book when I'm done reading it. If my e-book reader dies, something it will surely do every 3- to 5-years, I may not be able to re-read my digital books on my new device.

There are some specialized applications where an e-book reader might make sense, but those applications can just as easily be satisfied by a Tablet-PC, Netbook or Notebook-PC without requiring the user to carry a second electronic device. For general situations, ink on paper yields the best value and availability.

Last edited by markm; 04-22-2009 at 03:25 PM.