View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
jgoulden
Lurker Extraordinaire
jgoulden began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Series Titles and Numbers

Although it has taken some time to wrap my mind around the way Calibre likes to do some things (file/folder re-structuring mainly), I do like the program.

One thing that irks me though is the way it handles series. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong and my procedures/mindset are incorrect, but it frustrates me to no end that Calibre doesn't append a series number to the end of a book title when it copies it to a device. Heck, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

A little background . . .
Before I started to populate Calibre with my ebook collection, I had all of my titles setup in this kind of structure - "Book Title - Series - Series #". All of the books were placed neatly into a folder structure such as - "Author\Series". This made it easy to find a particular book, and I could tell at a glance which book I was looking for. Handling multiple versions of the same title (i.e. ePub, FB2, etc) was a bit of a pain in this fashion, so I started using Calibre.

Of course Calibre restructures things in it's own fashion, so I've had to come to grips with not being able to easily browse the folder structure on my PC to find a book. Which, in the end, is fine as Calibre should be used for it's intended purpose - cataloging books. I can still gripe about it though.

Once I started to enter books into Calibre, I noticed the option for assigning series' title and number. This seemed like an elegant way to handle the naming scheme, without cluttering up the book name in the listing, so I renamed all of my books and setup the series/numbers to coincide.

Now, when I send a book to my device it doesn't in any way signify what series or number in a series a book is. It just shows the plain book name. Why is that? Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible), it seems like a major fault in the way books are handled on the device.

Yes, I could do a work-around and setup the 'Save to Disk" feature to handle the book titles, series information and folder structure the way I want, but shouldn't those same kind of options also be available for when you are sending a book to a device?

I don't want to rename all of my books all over again to put the series name and number back in the title. Especially since that seems superfluous given Calibre's ability to track that information separately. I also don't want to use the "Send to Disk" option, when there is a perfectly viable (if flawed) method for sending books directly to a device.

Please, if I'm doing something wrong, tell me.
jgoulden is offline   Reply With Quote