View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #69
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Yes, and the credit lottery that is public usage might lead to lost cloud data as well. ("Your card expired so we emptied your cirrus space because we assumed you ceased to exist.")

Hence the need to back up everything in three places, which loops us back to the topic at hind: inexpensive storage for maximum redundancy. Samsung 830 SSDs are getting cheaper all the time; NewEgg just baited them on sale hooks for $200, which clearly made them cloud competition. My 500GB 830's reliable as hell(o, Stygia) and faster than any hard drive or cumulus I've had the pleasure of cramming with my kitsch.
Glen and Latepaul have articulated things well just below your post, but just to cover your specific points:

The fact there is a (small) chance that Google might decide you don't exist, doesn't really alter the proposal. It just equates to the (small) chance that your local storage choice might go belly up sooner than expected.

As you note, in any case you want a third backup to be safe. This can be to any storage device or other cloud offering of your choice, and applies regardless of whether your primary choice is Google's cloud or a local storage setup. In itself this isn't a reason against holding the primary copy of your data in the cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Besides, that jolly cloud isn't going to do you a lot of good when you're on sabbatical writing your next novel for several months at the Jack Kerouac House. A friend of mine just did that and needed her hard drive for entertainment as well as her project. Apparently, the Cloud was too distracted to help: it was busy engulfing the peaks of attractive mountains in its ethereal fuzz.
That, of course, is what the 32 GB of onboard storage is for. Obviously you'd be tagging your latest novel and notes to be documents for which you want offline access.

You can fit a lot of novel and entertainment in 32 GB. Certainly enough for several months on the road. And if not, or you're talking lots of movies, get yourself a couple of SD cards, or indeed an external hard drive:

http://support.google.com/chromeos/b...&answer=183093

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 02-23-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote