View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #171
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
It's rare there's more info available than what's on the package, in my experience. You can read samples of many books, yeah, but in a book store you can read a lot more of it. On electronics goods, more often than not, I have to go to Google to find the technical specs I need. Mind you, for what they do, a web based mail order outfit, they do it well, but they're inherently limited by the format.

I find a recommendation from a live salesman to be far, far, infinitely more useful than a statistical analysis from a computer.
My experience is that live salesmen hardly ever know WTF they're doing. Not even in the technical world. Invariably when trying to get something specialized for work I end up having to correspond with the manufacturing engineer as the salesman doesn't know anything about his own product besides collecting a commission. Which sucks because the whole point of the sales person is to provide a buffer so the engineer can do engineering, not customer support.

For consumer goods, the salesman is 99.99% of the time clueless about the product, even on technical but common items like TVs. The exception here is with photography equipment. I've been impressed by the knowledge of almost every gruff, iconoclastic photography store worker I've dealt with.

Amazon has a good bit of information if it's sold by Amazon LLC, but the 3rd party descriptions usually suck. The saving grace is that I can open up another tab and just look up the specs on Newegg, or Google, or wherever. That's not Amazon specifically, but it takes less time and effort to find what I need and comparison shop than it would by talking to a sales person
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote