Thread: Name that book?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #539
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj View Post
Australian children also grew up on them. Not any more. It appears she became politically incorrect, I'm not sure why. Because the villains were all swarthy maybe? Because what she wrote of as normal is now perceived as snobbery?
I heard various things about her use of Golliwogs, and also (presumably, but not necessarily, less seriously) comments about Noddy and Big Ears (although this even makes it into Wikipedia). All stupid stupid stuff.

Her books were read to us in school, I remember being impatient for the next chapter in the Magic Faraway Tree. At home we had a book of Brer Rabbit tales that was a real favourite, and I remember being so proud when I finished my first novel in just one day - it was one of the Famous Five series. She was an important part of my growing love of reading.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote