View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
I see... it's the first time I run into this, are you aware of any override?
I don't believe there's any way to override this behaviour Emilie. As dwig indicated, it results from the current lack of support for hyphenation on the Kindle - that results in a choice, sometimes, between having excessive space between words when trying to justify them (which many people find makes text less easy to read), or leaving that line unjustified but more easily readable. The Kindle developers opted for better readability. I would think, if this is explained, most authors would accept that it's a function of the e-reader device, not a fault in the ebook formatting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klu529 View Post
To preview the file, you can install the Kindle reader for PC. I don't know if there is a Mac version. It will be a little different because your computer will have a different screen size so you may not see the justification issue. You can experiment and try to get the kindle window to match the actual kindle screen to compare the results.
I'd recommend using the Kindle Previewer rather than the Kindle for PC application. The reader app can behave quite differently to the actual Kindle sometimes, and while the Previewer isn't 100% perfect, it gives a much closer simulation of what an ebook will look like on the actual Kindle device (it also provides options to simulate how the book will look using the "Kindle for..." applications for iPad and iPhone).
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote