View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #1012
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
I would start by reiterating my opinion that you should not be using FFDL to check for updates on large numbers of stories like that. In my opinion, you should be using the email notices available on the fanfic sites to alert you to story updates. And author follow/alert/whatever to watch for new sequels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackshot91 View Post
Is there a way to set FFDL to always download metadata, but only download the epub (actual book file) if it's newer? This would be a good solution for those managing large collections, especially those that have ratings/descriptions in the metadata. Ratings for obvious reasons, and descriptions because some authors change the description if they release a sequel.

Another benefit would be one-pass updating. Currently, if I want to update my library, I have to do one pass for metadata only and another to check for updates on the fic itself.
Sounds like you want 'Update Always'. That will always update the metadata both in calibre and the epub titlepage, but only download chapters if there are new chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackshot91 View Post
I am kind of confused, though. When running an update to "overwrite if newer", FFDL downloads the metadata for every story regardless (too check if it should download a new epub, I'm guessing). What does FFDL do with the metadata for fics that aren't newer? It discards them? Is there any way to save that metadata and update the fics that arent newer without having to run FFDL again?
Yes, FFDL always collects the metadata--it has to, to know what the 'last updated' date is and/or how many chapters there are.

Yes, FFDL discards that data when you use "Overwrite if newer" if it's not newer. The implicit assumption is that authors only change the description, etc when adding new chapters or the 'last updated' date will be updated when they do so.

I don't plan to add any new modes of operation like that right now.