View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #39
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I once mentioned some things about the early history of ebooks before they were called ebooks and before there ebooks were for sale anywhere and I was asked not to refer to that. A few months later I referred to it again, probably thinking it was innocent enough, and I was suspended for a a few days. Maybe a week. I forget.

The things I referred to, which I dare not list, were things done in perfect innocence by good people who had no idea that what they were doing would someday come to be called piracy. And yet what I said wasn't allowed. That fascinating portion of the history of ebooks can't be told here.

I do understand a reluctance to discuss this issue and I won't discuss piracy on this forum again. There there be monsters! But copyright is a very different issue and, I think, a legitimate issue to discuss in any book related forum. I don't know of any threats to any one for discussing copyright matters in this thread. I'd be surprised if there were any.

Barry
Really? I've mentioned some of what went on back in the 90's and early 2000's (i.e. before the Sony ebook store) before and no one said a word to me. Maybe it didn't get noticed, or maybe I kept it general enough, or maybe it's just that I have an innocent face.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote