View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've heard only one book by Lisette Lecat, Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, and I thought she was wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't like the #1LDA books.
More's the pity as I wish you enjoyed the #1LDA as much as I do. For me they're like comfort food; they make me smile and give me a warm feeling.

What's funny about you listening to Lecat for Purple Hibiscus is that I listened to another narrator for Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun and it began with Lecat (unannounced) doing a short intro. I was excited thinking it was Lecat doing the entire book under a pseudonym but alas no (although the narrator I did listen to did a good job too).

Quote:
I thought Thompson was adequate reading The Turn of the Screw.
Different strokes. I might've missed some exculpatory evidence of good narration in my almost immediate and continually intensifying dislike of her narrating style. For me she read parts too quickly, especially the ones where she spoke excitedly (which happened all too frequently). I thought Thompson's melodramatic, overwrought and borderline-hysterical-in-parts approach was a complete mismatch for the subdued, elegant and slow-building horror of James' writing.

The only other audiobook experience I disliked as much was Dune as read by a large cast.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote