View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #31
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
An inconvenient feature. I like that. It is the most versatile system around. Just create folders which you can name anything you wish and as deep as you wish and put you books wherever you wish. If you need favorites just make a folder named favorites. Easy. It does keep track of recently read which is enough organization for me along with alphabetical order. Of course YMMV. I don't like systems that forces me to learn their way of organizing. However you can always use ADE or Calibre to do your organizing.

The inconvenience is mostly that you have to do it while connected to a computer.
The fact that you have to hook it up to a computer to make directories and/or move files around is the issue. Needing a PC to manage things makes it no better than iTunes.

As for making a favorites directory? That means file copying or moving. So you either have to maintain duplicate copies of your books on the same device, or you have to yank the original files out of your otherwise efficient sorting system into this special directory. Neither is very efficient, and again they require the use of a computer. That's the bug up my butt here. I don't like being chained to a PC. The whole POINT of a good ebook reader is to break that dependence as much as possible. I'd be reading books on my PC if it wasn't. Hooking it up to the PC to get books in the first place? I'm FINE with that--I don't need stupid 3G capability to get my books. But after that? I shouldn't need the PC for every last bit of basic file maintenance.

I don't see what the crime is in wishing for some firmware updating. The actual hardware is great. Its the software which needs work. A lot of work. Basic file level tools ON the unit would be the easiest way to stay with the "open" philosophy of the product. Sort of like what the alternate firmware that Buggins guy has been doing, but a bit further, since all Buggins firmware really adds is an ability to delete files and the ability to move files between the SD card and the built in memory. What we really need is a full service file cut and paste. Cut from here, paste here. All on the unit. Add that, and we're in business. That, and as I said elsewhere, a mimicking of the "Recent Files" mechanism, but with things you deliberately mark as Favorites. All of this can be done with a popup file context menu, the same way Buggins version does it (by holding DOWN a number key).

Last edited by Spiffy; 06-09-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote