View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
tritone
tritone began at the beginning.

I experimented with doing this very thing last night, and came up with a workable solution through Microsoft Word on ny WinXP computer. Here's what I do:

1. If your web page has a "printer friendly" button click it to get a web page minus all the ads and extra marginal junk. I use Internet explorer.

2. Go to File->Save As... then name the file and change the file type to "Web Page, Complete (*.html) and Save. I save to the Desktop so it's easy to find.

3. On your Desktop right-click the html file you saved and choose Open With... and chose Microsoft Word. This will open the file in Word and you can remove anything you don't like, but usually "printer friendly" pages are ready to go with no extra editing necessary.

4. Go to File->Properties and populate the Title and Author fields. These will show up in the Sony Reader (the filename is ignored).

5. Go to File->Save As... and change the filetype to "Microsoft Word (*.doc)" and Save.

Now you can drag this DOC file from your Desktop (or wherever you saved it) to your Sony Reader using the Sony CONNECT program. The Reader will convert the DOC to an RTF on-the-fly, and you can select all 3 font sizes with your document. By the way, the desktop is on C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Desktop. You may want to save everything to a shorter filepath.

I have all but given up on PDF files. The PDF format is very inflexible on the Reader. The Reader will not zoom in on the page, nor increase the font size on PDF files, so it's not worth going with PDF until Sony gives us more options here, in my opinion.
tritone is offline   Reply With Quote