View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #2026
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Okay, I'm convinced. I'll have to give the series a try
There are two excellent narrations available, and at least one less excellent. I happen to be a strong proponent of the Patrick Tull narrations, probably because those are the ones I first started with back in the Books on Tape days. issybird, however, prefers the Jack Vance narrations. I strongly suspect that whichever of these you start with, you'll end up preferring. Really, they're both excellent.

The first book is Master and Commander, and starts with the meeting of Jack Aubrey, a British Naval officer, and Stephen Maturin, an Irish and Basque physician and scientist. Two less similar individuals are hard to imagine, but despite an inauspicious beginning, they develop an abiding friendship that will see them through many trials, tribulations and triumphs over the course of 20 and a bit novels set during the French Revolutionary Wars with Britain. In the process, we learn a good deal about the science, social challenges, and the political vicissitudes of the time.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote