View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #17
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think hearing these types of comments depends on the circles you travel in. Actors, celebrities (can you say Paris Hilton... makes a lot of money but what is her talent... and yes I'm jealous) and I'm sure some sports figures get the same kinds of comments.
Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw so to speak. Anyway I consider myself ultra-ultra-lucky just for having a regular life in 21th century USA after living 21 years in one the worst hellholes on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain.

And overall, a bit of reading of good, *realistic* historical fiction would make appreciate more the life of today for people who were fortunate to be born here.

I am now reading an arc of Drood by D. Simmons about the last 5 years of C. Dickens after the train accident that turned his life upside-down, as told by friend and secret jealous rival Wilkie Collins and the description of London 1865 which was the capital of civilization by and large at the time is something that should be read to see how lucky we are today.

Think of 20000 pounds of horse manure daily piling up on the banks of Thames just for starters, almost everyone consuming diluted opium as painkiller, dead newborns piling up here and there, and so on...

Last edited by Liviu_5; 09-03-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote