View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro View Post
Scientific studies say backlit or e-ink does not make a difference in terms of eye strain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22762257

You should see an ophtalmologist.
Just for fun, I put on my science hat and checked the paper (I have access through work). The 2 devices they are using are the Sony PRS 600 and the Apple iPad (1st generation). I only looked at Figure 1 (because the rest of the paper contains tables and they bore me). Particularly for General Fatigue, but also slightly for visual fatigue, the LCD device was subjectively worse for all trials. However, the differences were not statistically significant. HOWEVER, they only had 10 participants (5 male, 5 female, all right-handed). I would be very interested to see the statistics on a larger population, for example 100 people. The measurements of reading speed look very similar for the 2 devices.

k4k

ETA: Of course I should have said that statistically significant does not necessarily mean biologically relevant. In other words, some differences don't matter much.

Last edited by krazy4katz; 01-14-2013 at 07:40 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote