View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav_25 View Post
The iPad pro is not an ereader. He will damage his eyes with it.
Pull the other one... It's got bells. The current state of the discussion as to whether LCD/AMOLED/any backlit screen causes eye damage has not reached any solid conclusions backed by rigourous testing.

And, yes the iPad Pro mades a pretty decent ereader (IMNSHO). The screen size is much better than most eInk ereaders for PDF files which are often formatted for letter/A4 paper size and the CPU and RAM handle complex PDFs better than most dedicated reading devices. Playing with the brighness and background colours can help for long reading sessions though most discussions seem predicated on everyone using a reading device having the brightness cranked to the maximum and no other display options being available.

I do prefer my eInk devices for long reading sessions but then I know of few others who will read for 4+ hours in a single session. I don't assume that everyone will have the same experience though I do wonder about some of my younger relatives who spend hours in front of a screen, playing games, browsing Instagram, Twitter and ghod alone knows what other social media sites, on rare occasions, working on homework, etc. None of them have had their eyesight destroyed or damaged as a result.

Now if you had stuck to the real drawbacks of the iPad Pro such as it being rather heavy for a device to be handheld for hours or the battery life being far shorter than an eInk device, your post might have been worth reading.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-11-2019 at 07:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote