Thread: Firmware Update Updating from Very Old Firmware
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
While you do that, please be careful to only load a complete font set that has "regular" "italic" "bold" and "bold italic" (exactly those four, no less, no more variants). It avoids potential display issues and crashes.
Oh dear! I've just been loading the regular font!

The first font I loaded was Georgia. After unzipping the file, I put the whole folder into the PW's font folder, but the kindle couldn't see it; so I took the individual bits (for regular, italic etc) out of the folder and into the font folder on the kindle, then deleted the empty folder. Because the reader seemed to see only one folder (regular) and only give the option to use that one, I loaded only the regular bits of other fonts.
It did occur to me that, if an author uses italics in a book, there might be issues if I don't have the italic version of the font.

I've loaded Georgia (the only one with all the files), Constantia, Gentium, Gentium Alt (shows, but looks identical to Gentium), Cambria, Maiandra, (I don't really like sans fonts, but this looked like a more interesting alternative if I fancied one), Palatino, Sylfaen (I use this for Word), Times New Roman and Book Antiqua.

Many of these are copies of system fonts. Should I go back and put other bits in? Some of them only had the regular font on my computer.

The only thing I don't like about the firmware update is the home page. I prefer just to start with a list view, now I have to click to "My Library". Also, search no longer has the drop down list for "All Text" "All Items" or "Search Within This Book".

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote