View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use Word2CleanHtml dot com online to strip out all the painful html that Word creates. It does a good job with OpenOffice Writer files, too, though sometimes it yields <p class="normal"> instead of just <p>. There are of course other ways to get clean html. Toxaris has a plug-in that does it, among other things. (It doesn't work for me in Word 2007, but I'm sure that's my fault.)

I am always astonished by the html created by word processors and purpose-built software like Scrivener and even by Calibre. It can all be reduced by half, if not by 90 percent. Word2Clean might have been designed for Sigil; it doesn't bother with html declarations, so it can be pasted right into a Sigil page in Code View, between the body tags. (I appreciate that some people don't care to process their books online.)

I use OpenOffice Writer to do the final tweaking for paperback. I've done twelve or thirteen books and never had a problem with the PDF it generates. I mostly use 12 point Georgia on a 1.2 line spacing, with an extra .02 inch between paragraphs. I spend a LOT of time tweaking the layout, perfecting every page. I think a print edition deserves the attention.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote