View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #43
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The iPod used to be quite good for music playback. Then Apple decided to cheapen the parts used in the iPods. Now the iPods/iPhone do not sound nearly as good as they used to. Do you called this dumbing down?
No, I call it what I did above: a questionable design decision.

I don't have an iPod/iPhone, and can't comment from experience on whether the sound quality you hear has declined. I'll take your word that it doesn't sound as good to you as it used to.

I'm thinking more in terms of a function that the device formerly did well which was reduced in capability, like UI changes that reduced the options you had in a previous version to do whatever the device does, because the vendor thought those options generated too much confusion and support calls. "These features are too confusing for the average user, so we'll just remove them..."

Agreed that a multi-function device won't do everything well. As a buyer, my question is "Does it do the following features that are important to me well enough to suit my requirements?"

My usual ebook viewer is a PDA. It performs those functions well enough that I feel no particular urge to get a dedicated reader instead. The things it doesn't do all that well aren't what I use it for, so I largely don't care.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote