View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Oh come now, that's absurd. You think that Apple should support 32 bit forever and a day? Why stop there? By your logic they should still be supporting the old 16 bit programs, I mean it's only been 28 years (1991) since they went 32 bit.

Apple rolled out their first 64 bit machine in 2006. The last 32 bit machine was discontinued in 2010, almost 10 years ago. Yea, it's not out of character for Apple to drop support 32 bit a decade after the last 32 bit machine. I'm surprised they supported it this long. They have been warning developers that 32 bit was going away for a couple of years now.

I have two applications on my machine that at 32 bit, an old, old copy of Adobe reader and an old copy of the Kindle app. I have the 64 bit version of both as well. Didn't cost me a dime to upgrade them. Some of my 64 bit apps are over a decade old.

If you want to keep using 32 bit apps, the answer is simple, don't upgrade. Apple didn't drop support for Yosemite (released in 2014) until this year, so odds are they will continue to support Mojave for another 5 years.
The way it works is you have a 32-bit OS. That 32-bitOS supports 16- and 32-bit programs. You move to a 64-bit OS and that OS supports 32- and 64-bit programs. That's how it is supposed to work. But Apple has decided that in order to get people to dump perfectly working Apple hardware that they are going 64-bit only. That's the reality.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote