View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
archaic
archaic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700
This is my first post, although I've been reading threads here about the PRS-700 for a couple of weeks. I'm a tech junkie, so I've been through the ropes in comparing a diversity of opinions on products many, many times. I won't tell you how many devices I own, but my adapters alone will fill a suitcase. No joke.

Anyway, I ordered (and placed a deposit) on the 700 a few days ago at the local Sony Store. It should arrive any day now, but as it is a Christmas present from wife and daughter (last year they bought me a GPS, trying to contain my addiction!) I won't be using it until Dec 24th after mass. So, my next post won't be for a month, once I've had a chance to get my hands dirty with the 700 (more on that in a minute).

I dropped into the Sony store today to get up close and personal with the 505. There are lots in stock (and no customers in the store, by the way -- recession anyone?). It's a nice product. I really liked the size and feel of the product. I'm talking esthetics here-- form, not content -- I'm sure I'll get the same vibe from the 700. I REALLY like the feel of the 505 in my hands. If I can't get the right vibe from the product, I can't use it. For example, although I devour paperbacks, I cannot read the new format paperbacks -- the tall and thin ones -- you know the ones I mean. I hate them. Refuse to buy them. Have actually written the company to tell them how much I hate this format (I normally never do that).

So -- my first impression -- the 505 is simply okay. I like the physical part. On the tech side, it's obviously early in development. Lot's of room for improvement -- the 700 seems to address some of these issues. In fact, the 700 screen would have to be awfully bad for me not to go with newer technology. For those that adore the 505, great. I have no criticisms, and value your opinion. Enjoy it. But for me, I expect to go with the next generation. I'll have no problem going to a PRS-7xx when the time comes, and will save my money in anticipation.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rambling post. But my motto is "The person with the most gadgets when they die, wins". And to have the most gadgets, you need to keep ahead of the tech curve!

Oh, on the "getting my hands dirty" subject. I have to laugh at the people concerned about fingerprints on the 700 touch screen. Fingerprints/smudges on products are a way of life -- unless you choose to wear white cotton gloves -- just check out the touch screen on the video display the next time you fly. Or take a close look at your cell phone or blackberry. I clean them every day, several times a day. That's life. Another funny thing -- when examining the 505 I kept touching the screen! No way I could live with buttons -- there are too many touch screens in my life to go back...just my opinion.

Cheers,

Archaic
archaic is offline   Reply With Quote