View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
santosha
Novice
santosha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Using a CSS "style reset"

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could comment on using a so-called "style reset" to remove any default margins and paddings an e-reader may impose on the reading of the ebook automatically.

Example (from Guido's Guide):

Code:
html, body, div, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, ul, ol, dl, li, dt, dd, p, pre, table, th, td, tr { margin: 0; padding: 0; }
Is it accurate to use something like this?

It seems like a great little fix, but as I've been trying to wrap my head around the dos and donts of ebook formatting (which seems almost impossible in itself ) I've become very wary of trying to force/manipulate anything unless I know it's accurate.

I may be paranoid but would really like to learn from the beginning to create ebooks that are following best practices and the guidelines to be as safe for the future as possible, and for maximum compatibility.

For example, being encouraged in several guides to force text-alignment to avoid automatic justification by the kindle reader, only to then read in Amazon's guidelines that this is strongly advised against (for various reasons) - and so on.

It seems that this field of ebook making is indeed a tricky one to learn due to the massive amount of conflicting (mis)information out there and the apparently rapidly evolving nature of the field itself. It must be a huge challenge for you professionals out there - for good and bad .

Thanks in advance for your assistance - and a huge thanks to the community for all the incredible information you are sharing so generously on this board.

/end rant, but being my first actual post - I had to say WOW and thank you!

Namaste,

Santosha
santosha is offline   Reply With Quote