View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I have Nooks, a Sony and Adobe Digital Editions. ADE means I can buy books [or borrow from my library] from a variety of vendors - of the many that sell Adobe epubs - for all my readers. I'm not tied to B&N or Sony's store, nice as they may be. And ADE is, IMO, really straightforward and easy to learn to use. The additional step of sideloading is required, but I personally prefer it to having my device handcuffed to a single vendor.

B&N uses your CC# to generate the DRM for your ebooks, so theoretically, as long as you have the number & the file, you should be able to unlock your books. I've put a few of my B&N books on my Mother's Nook and have been able to unlock them that way.

I had to return my NookSTR for a faulty battery, and the experience was painless. 15 minutes on the phone, 2 failed resets and the rep mailed me an RMA and shipped a replacement unit that afternoon. Big City Mom - in her 70's - took her unit to an actual store, and they were patient and fixed her problem promptly.

But the advice to strip and back-up is good - it is the only way to assure your books remain available in the future. A book I purchased through FeedBooks 2 years ago still shows in my account, but I will have to re-buy it to download another copy. The MS Reader LIT books purchased through Amazon? Don't even show in my purchase history.

* Sony hasn't authorized the B&N DRM, so presently B&N books are Nook-only, I believe.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote