View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #99
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
And to think, I was excited this morning when I saw that The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, Book Three) was released.

I read books for pleasure. I read some that are meant for adults and some that are meant for young adults. I can't help it that I found the Maze Runner trilogy more interesting and captivating then IQ84. I finished the Maze Runner trilogy in a few days and only made it about 1/3 of the way through IQ84 before deciding that there were elements that were interesting but over all the pacing was far to slow and I was bored.

So tonight I will read about Egyptian Gods and Magic through the lens of a kids book, I don't know that it even qualifies as a young adult book, and smile. Because it will have an intersting plot and do some cool things with mythological gods that I would not have expected. I also know that in another 5 years or so I will be able to recommend American Gods to my Nephew knowing that he actually knows most of the Greek and Egyptian Gods because of reading these types of books. Heck, I was able to discuss the Greek Gods with my 9 year old niece because she loves Percy Jackson.

This is the same 9 year old who can tell you the entire plot line of the Warrior Cats series (something like 15 books that are actually decent sized), list which cats are in which clans, who holds what position, and the different government styles of each of the clans. She is 9 and she can describe an entire political and cultural enviroment for this cat based world. It is actually really impressive, and more complex then you would think. I think this means that she is not going to have too many problems understanding the US Constitution when she gets to that stage in school.

Some of these books and series are pretty complex. They prepare kids for delving into some pretty complex concepts later in their life. I have no doubt that my nieces and nephews, all are readers, will not have a problem reading Dune, the Foundation Series, and Dickens because they have been learning how to understand and remember details from the various books that they read.

Now, I do not think Cat Warriors is on par with the Hunger Games, I am not sure 9 is the right age for Hunger Games, and I don't see too many adults getting into the Warrior Cats but to write off YA or even some Kids literature as meaningless and not complex is flat out silly.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote