View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Softrooted Nookbrowser vs Nook new browser

Hi,

I've been using softrooted Nookbrowser for some time and I really love it. I usually use it for quick check on yahoo mail, twitter, and some mobile site

After using Nook stock browser (which comes with new firmware 1.3.0), I have following comments:

1. Softrooted browser automatically displays mobile version of several webistes, e.g. twitter, yahoo mail, etc. which, imo, is very convenient, sensible, and useable. Nook stock browser will open full web page which is not so convenient for reading because I have to scroll left/right all the time. However, if you know the mobile version url of that website, you can specifically entered that url; but I found Yahoo mail mobile version shown on softrooted browser is more useable than the m.yahoo.com version

2. With softrooted browser, when I view printed version of the website, it wrap the paragraph to fit the Nook screen. With Nook browser, it did nothing when I press a link for showing the printed version of the webpage; so I can't see whether it also wrap the paragraph to fit the screen or not.

3. Nook browser is much more convenient in choosing links, fill in forms because we can navigate to that point by LCD touch screen whilst softrooted version need to use navigation arrow on touchscreen which is slow.

4. I'm outside US and has hacked Nook to work with my local SIM card. Nook browser is working with GPRS/EDGE/3G here. That's great.

So I will keep both browsers for different kind of webpages. If I need to look at full webpages, Nook stock browser is great; but for mobile websites, softrooted Nookbrowser is definitely my choice (Nookdevs team, please don't stop improving your browser)
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote