View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you are willing to remove DRM and convert you can get any e-reader and you will be fine.

I would stick to the Kindle, Sony, or Nook. The Kobo seems to be a good reader but is far more bare bones and not any cheaper then the others. You may as well pay the same money and get a reader with more features. You can always choose not to use them but you would have to buy a new reader if you decided that you wanted the features and they were not there.

Go to a Best Buy and play around with the differen e-readers. See which one feels best to you and make your decision that way. Honestly, the readers all do a good job of displaying text and reading. They are all using the same screen and they are all using the technology for the touch screen. There are some differences in the features but most of those are cosmetic. It really comes down to the bookstore and how the device feels to you.

If you think you are going to buy most of your books from Amazon then take a look at the Kindle Touch or the Kindle 4 (non-touch with buttons) if you want something inexpensive that you will be less annoyed if it gets ruined at the beach.

Customer Service wise, Amazon has the best. BN, Sony, and Kobo have mixed reviews.

I have no idea how to read Sony's marked down prices, there are reports of T1s being sold for $79 - $89 across the US. Does that mean that Sony is being more competitive price wise or is it that Best Buy has noticed that the Sonys are not selling well and are clearing them out because the Kindles and Nooks are doing better? Some folks have been told at Best Buy that they are not going to be restocking Sony's. I am getting this from topics I have read in the Sony forum so please correct me if I am wrong. I guess what I am getting at is that it is possible that Sony is withdrawing from the US ebook market and that could effect customer service and the like down the line. Then again, there are plenty of Sony users who are still using the Sony 500 so we know that the Sony readers are well built and you might not have any issues that you need to worry about.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote