Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #1326
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
You had me at "Windows 2008 Server"...

Best one I ever had was a 3rd party clustered round robin ASP solution for A Large Telecoms company that managed the delivery of their jobs to the engineers. (Application service provider not Active Server Pages) I was an implementation consultant at the time.

For no "obvious" reason the memory usage would spiral out of all control on one server and the server would literally kill itself (never the same server, just randomly one of them). They tried memory tracing, checking the sizes of the processes, all manner of things sane and not. There was no obvious cause. The spikes were in fact from the system-side of things and not user code.

In the end? They added a pile more Windows servers and just spread the load more evenly. Never happened again.

The moral of this story? If in doubt throw resources at it. Or develop on a decent bloody operating system to begin with. It's fair to say that the particular company I am referring to (who must remain nameless as must the TelCo) didn't survive for very long.

The other moral? Don't expect contractors to provide you with a bullet-proof solution. They just don't care enough.

(10. I can't test everything!)

Nice catch on yours btw.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote