View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
An idea for Amazon

IIRC Amazon owns audible. I think they should give the option to pair ebooks and audiobooks. When you buy both, your kindle reader can read to you using the audiobook instead of TTS

There are several advantages for the user: 1/ you can read the text along with the audiobook (the text and audio will synch of course) This will be very useful for language learners. 2/ when you need to go back, it's much easier to visually find your place than with an audio player, where you have to guess and rewind. 3/ you can glance at the text when you miss something. This helps with unfamiliar or foreign names or words 4/ you can either listen or read, whichever is more convenient at the moment. Many people prefer to read, but they can't always do it e.g. commute.

Technically, I guess they will need to add metadata to map ebook location and time code in the audiobook. Storage space may be a problem. Audio may have to be downloaded by chunks on demand. Pricing will be tricky. Is there a demand for this? Is there enough overlap b/t readers and audiobook listeners? I don't know.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote