Thread: SciFi history?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #71
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
We had lessons in high school about using slide rules but that was just as hand held calculators were making an appearance so it was never put to any practical use even though the calculators were pretty expensive at that time. I think one guy in the pre-calculus class had one, but was allowed to use it on tests.
I was learning to use a slide rule at the same time I was taught how to do square roots manually. It was too easy to pull out the slip stick and get the result to three places, so I never did properly learn that manual method.

A former co-worker once got out of a graduate finance exam because his pocket calculator died. He probably could have done the calculations manually, but not in the time alloted for the exam.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote