View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #30
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll be weird with you, then. I especially like the Brigadoon comparison. On one level, I love Brigadoon; certainly my adolescent self did. But my adult self obsesses about things such as inbreeding and the changes wrought by millennia, which will happen very quickly. The "miracle" (and would a Scottish presbyter be likely to use that word which smacks a lot of bells and smells?) seemed very hard on poor Harry Beaton and others of his ilk, trapped forever, and if there was a way in for Tommy, why not a way out for the miserable? Doesn't do to think about it, really, or the show is ruined.
When Dick was repulsed by Vita putting on face cream, I immediately thought of Gene Kelly sitting in a Manhattan bar listening to vapid conversation just before he decides to return to Scotland. I don't like the ending, but I do love the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
What is it with the idea that a man having a gay friend must be a repressed gay himself? It's this, if anything, that speaks of some sort of phobia on the part of the author (as opposed to one of her characters) - if we assume this is what she intended the reader to infer when Dick tells us that he and Magnus had been watching a choir-boy. I was inclined to ignore that because Dick's heterosexual preferences seemed otherwise more prevalent through the text.
It wasn't the friendship per se that made Dick seem like a closeted gay man; it was the primacy of his relationship with Magnus and the disinterest in his wife. He and Vita are supposed to have been married only three years, and he's fine with a long separation, is mightily annoyed when she returns early, seems to prefer being alone to being with her and being part of a family unit. I forget if his age is given; I'm thinking forty-ish? Which means he married quite late in life, and I don't get that there's any grand passion involved; it seems more like he thought he should marry so as to conform to what society expects.

On the other hand, maybe he's mostly asexual. I think his fascination with Isolda indicates his passivity and his desire to remain uninvolved; he'd rather watch an unattainable, imaginary woman than have a meaningful life (vita!) with a real woman.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote