View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 04:08 AM   #22
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
[...] Really, i would have enjoyed this quite a bit more if it hadn't been for the end. The way that Dick threw everything away for one last chance to see what happened was unsatisfying just as the conclusion of Roger/Isolde's tale was unsatisfying.
I did wonder about the conclusion(s). I mean the author has drawn (or not) the reader along on a story that requires a significant suspension of disbelief, so why - after all that - the realistic ending? (Dick does what an addict will do, and the good old days live up to their reality rather than their reputation.)

I liked both endings, perhaps because they pressed a sense of reality that would otherwise have been easy to dismiss. If we care to consider the addict aspect of this story then the ending in which the addict seems to lose almost everything* is quite apt.

* Dick is actually quite lucky, if we assume he survives and has no way to satisfy his addiction in future.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote