View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #21
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I did read it but I'm somewhat at a loss of what to say.

Did I enjoy it? I'm of two minds. I very much enjoyed the feel of the book. The narration style and the pace and the writing. I did not enjoy most of the actual content of the book. I enjoyed some of the scenes in the past. Disliked most of the scenes in Dick's present and really disliked the ending in both time frames.

The present day character's all played their roles well. Dick was the disillusioned guy looking for meaning anywhere he could find it. Magnus was a piece of work with his manipulation and control of Dick. Vita was a good contrast to Dick. he boys were just a distraction but needed so that Dick could show he was trying (even if half-heartedly.) The Doctor was my favorite and I really would have liked to have found out about some past connection with either Magnus or Dick. As-is he was just a nice, person who has a remarkable amoutn of tolerance but he could have been so much more if he did have some connection to either of them that they either didn't know about or had forgotten.

I took the drug at face value in that it did let Dick/Magnus see into the past rather than just hallucinate things. It didn't seem like Magnus had directed Dick enough for them both to be seeing the same people and experiences in the past without something else going on. If I recall correctly Magnus intentionally didn't say anything to Dick until after Dick revealed that he was following Roger.

Really, i would have enjoyed this quite a bit more if it hadn't been for the end. The way that Dick threw everything away for one last chance to see what happened was unsatisfying just as the conclusion of Roger/Isolde's tale was unsatisfying.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote