View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #644
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I also haven't messed with settings in months/years! Only thing changing is Windows updates! (I'm telling you, gremlins are real! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
<snip>
So what changed? Windows - I upgraded from 1709 to 1803 on Sunday. And I think this is the first time I've run the Mark tool since then.
<snip>
The "I think" was to indicate I was tentative about not using it since the upgrade. But, I also think I might have used it on a document I hadn't quite finished when I did the upgrade. Why would a Windows upgrade tamper with the content of Users\BR\Appdata\Roaming\Toxaris and not the content of the other 40+ adjacent folders, such as Balabolka, Goodsync. Qbittorrent etc.

Actually, something else did change in the same time period - calibre . . .

Quote:
A few months back, my Postprocess OCR started getting frozen on the "Set Language" step.

After several PMs to Toxaris (and me comparing a completely fresh install in a VM), I found the solution:

My EPUB Tools > Settings > Postprocess OCR > "Set document language to" somehow magically turned blank. Once I set it to English, everything started working.

Perhaps there is some dastardly setting for Mark Tag that blanked itself out.
But as far as I'm concerned it had been blank for years I never wanted the tag, all I ever wanted was the highlight. It's just as easy to find a highlighted character, as it is to find a specific string - easier in fact. Somehow I had coerced it into working in a way that Toxaris says shouldn't have worked, but it worked for years the manner I wanted it to work

Quote:
Speaking of gremlins, this still also happens to me occasionally. Still no rhyme or reason (sometimes it works for weeks no problems, sometimes it disappears one document only to work perfectly in the next). (Curse you Windows/Office, curse you!)
- but only for this Add-in. Not had any similar problem with other COM add-ins.

My speculation is that the gremlin puts the ePUBTools.cfg file into a state that causes the add-in initialisation code to error out when its loaded at Word start-up. And its probably the same gremlin that tampered with your OCR Language setting and my Mark Tag setting.

Development of Word Add-ins is a notoriously fickle endeavour - that's probably why there aren't very many of them.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-12-2018 at 03:45 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote