View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald
I know what you are saying but I should point out that I'm staring at the Sony Reader box and no where does it say that it is a "fiction only" reader. It calls itself a "Portable Reader System". Searching text is not some esoteric thing.
No, it's not some esoteric thing, but it isn't, strictly speaking, reading either. It is, as you note, a "Portable Reader System" -- Sony has aimed to optimize their Reader for exactly that: reading, page by page, front to back (which it does do pretty darn well). From that perspective, the lack of a search is a bit more reasonable sounding.

However, I'd like to have the text search on occasion too, I don't see it as being something I'd need/want frequently, so the PC side searching will probably serve my meager needs well enough in that area, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald
I agree there should be a PRS-1000 with a "Letter" size screen with seaching capabilities and notetaking - maybe even leave out the mp3 player on that one. I would get one of each, one for novels and one for technical documents and textbooks. Go for it Sony! Get busy.
To this, I can only add my enthusiastic agreement. I really think that the sort of device you're describing could go a very long way toward actually eliminating a lot of the paper in settings like the office, medical, academic, legal, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
BTW, does anyone know why Sony didn't go for a touch screen? Is it just that touch screen would interfere with the eInk? Or was it a cost saving issue?
I don't know anything about it, but I think it's interesting that iRex decided to go straight for the Wacom RF digitizer. Also there have been a few incidents that suggest the screen is sensitive to pressure.

On the other hand, I seem to remember reading something (somewhere, a couple of years ago, unfortunately) that was discussing what sort of 'viewability' degradation might occur as a result of adding a touch screen to the mix, so it apparently can be done.

As to why Sony didn't do it, I can only guess that it's another artifact of their interest in optimizing the Reader for reading. I think it's a reasonable guess, but it's only a guess.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote