View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Reformatting PDF Files for Sony Reader

Ok, first of all, happy to be here. I just got my sony reader and absolutely love it. It's one of those wonderful gizmos that get me excited because I see the future changing because of it. Give it 5 or 10 years and every kid in school will have one of these with a set of their textbooks on it.

Anyway - somebody just said they wanted a clock - a clock? No clock please Sony. Please just keep working on all the new features for actual "book reading" such as better resolution, better contrast, support html and more ebook formats , searching text, notetaking, text-to-speech, etc.

Anyway as I was about to ask, I have 100s maybe 1000s of pdfs formatted for normal size page. These are really too small for me to read comfortably on my reader even in landscape mode.

So what is the best way to reformat these for the reader screen? Is there software path however complicated that will get us there?

One path I was thinking of was convert the pdf to an rtf file. Then in Microsoft Word, use that Lit plugin to convert it a .lit file, and the use a .lit conversion program to go into one of the formats that the reader supports.

Anyone tried something like this and had any luck?

I tend to read technical books with code and stuff and any time I just go to text, the formatting gets really messed up (assuming the text transfers at all - I noticed it doesn't pick up some text from the pdf for some reason, perhaps something to do with the fonts I think).

Thanks!~

Last edited by sfernald; 10-25-2006 at 08:03 PM.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote