View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Solarin
Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Voyage
Amazon auto update fighting with Calibre books

So like many people, I use calibre to change the title and cover image of my amazon ebooks. The issue is that I also have the auto-update function turned on. It seems that even after stripping the DRM off the books and changing the title, Amazon is still able to tell it's their book and thus will push updates to it. Normally I'd be happy with that, but today something weird happened.

I turned the Wifi on and Amazon updated the 2nd Game of Thrones book (A Clash of Kings). I had the title changed a certain way with calibre so it'd be in series order, and the cover image was also changed. Upon being updated, it reverted back to the original title and cover image. So I connected via USB, took the new updated book, put it into calibre, changed the metadata again, and put the new calibre-changed one in. Then I turned Wifi off.

Now, just a few hours later, I turned the wifi back on... and my kindle once again changed the book's title and cover image to the original. I doubt there was another update to the book, but it was changed anyway. So I repeated everything in the above paragraph, and put it back on the kindle. Then, just to test things, I turned the Wifi on again. As you can probably guess, Amazon once again changed the book's data.

But wait! The mystery deepens. I tried turning auto update off, tested it again, and it STILL happened! Arghhhhh.

I have bought dozens of books from Amazon and have used calibre to change the metadata of most of them. But, they have all been untouched for now. For some reason, Amazon really doesn't like my A Clash of Kings cover.

This is such a trivial thing but it's driving me crazy! Should I just always keep Wifi off?

Last edited by Solarin; 01-25-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Solarin is offline   Reply With Quote