View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #113
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
<SNIP>

The "Novel" template in Scrivener does contain character creation templates which are very useful. I've used them...You can adapt them to your requirements and move them in the tree so that they're in a more convenient location <SNIP>

If you don't want to use the novel template, you could adapt the basics of the character development sheets and use them in your preferred format.

I haven't given WW as long as Scrivener. But I've already found it buggy. For example, copy and paste is a nightmare; unless you do edit-select all. But if you want to copy just a little of the text to another part of the work in progress, it's really difficult to select the part you want.

<SNIP>

I think I'm going with Scrivener, even if I have to pay for it myself!! Though I'm still debating whether to bother with Write It Now 4, which is more expensive. (Perhaps I'll cheekily ask my friends for that!)
Hi BookCat, et al,

firstly, I don't see the few words I wrote as being a review - far too superficial to qualify.

Secondly, when I mentioned character creation, WW has a specific command or tool for this, whereas Scrivener does not. Yes, in S it can be done in a template, but this is different to having a specific tool.

I tried copy/cut and paste in WW and didn't have an issue, but it does have a slightly different way of working and perhaps this is not how you'd prefer to work.

The other issues between S and WW that you mentioned are probably best left to those who are expert in the application(s). I've uninstalled S from my machine and won't be reinstalling it just now.

The most important thing here is that you be comfortable with your choice of tools - I'm not being patronizing, so please don't think that - because each is likely to be the product of a small number of people who have placed their own views high on the priorities list and structured the workflow accordingly.

My final choice for applications was MN4, despite its rather superficial inspiration tools. This application resonated with me and as I said earlier, I was able to be productive and find my way around it very quickly.

There is no doubt in my mind that S and WW have far more history and support behind them, and for many will be a better choice.

I wish you all the best with your final decision - it really sounds like you are fond of S, and it resonates for you the way MN4 resonated for me.

Finally, I don't think the software itself will make any of us better writers - that has to come from somewhere else - but these programs are merely tools that help us along the way. I've seen sideshow acts where a strongman drives a nail into a piece of wood with his bare hand, but nobody would approach him to build a cupboard, I expect.

These programs are our hammers.

Last edited by Metal Mick; 06-06-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Replaced "character generation" with "Inspiration"
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote