View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I'm not all that impressed with the Dark Mode. It is a good start, but they need to add some customization. For example, the light colored text is too bright with the dark background (too much contrast) and causes the "mini blinds effect" with my eyes. I see no way to make the text a little less bright. Also, Safari will display web pages how they were specified by the designers of same, so you will still get bright white pages that don't really fit into Dark Mode very well. They need to rethink Dark Mode, add customizations for text color/shade and add the ability to darken bright pages and app interfaces. Otherwise I won't be able to use it much, if at all.
On iOS there is a Setting to Reduce White Point (General, Accessibility, Display Accommodations). The equivalent on macOS would be to go to Displays in System Preferences, go to the Color panel, and Calibrate... your display(s). Uncheck Use native white point and lower the ‘temperature’ as desired. Of course if you switch mode back to Light you may need to go back and turn Use native white point back on.

The other thing that is lacking is that third party apps won’t pay attention to the Appearance preference now (until now, it did not exist). And as you mention, web pages need to be thought about. I don’t think there is even any way for web page to discover which mode is enabled. Over time, it should get better, and learnings can be applied to iOS if and when Apple decides to add Dark mode to that.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-25-2018 at 08:20 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote