View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
It does not match anything to anything. It uses whatever Authors exist for each book. Bear in mind that although an Author may look like "Smith, George", Calibre stores it as "George Smith" in the name column of the authors table. "Smith, George" would be stored in the sort column of the authors table. ABC uses whatever Calibre has. Period.

In my Test Library, for example, Author ID 192 is (name,sort): "Brian W. Aldiss","Aldiss, Brian W."

If a user somehow has tweaked or changed Calibre to make the name the same as the sort, then ABC would still use the value stored in the name column. It uses what Calibre uses for Author name.

If "Brian W. Aldiss" is sometimes "Brian Aldiss" and also sometimes "Brian Wilson Aldiss" in your Calibre library, then there would be three (3) different ABC counts for him because there would be three (3) different versions of the same human being's name. Obviously, standardization of Author names is recommended via the excellent tools already available within Calibre. However, such standardization is totally out of the scope of ABC, which just counts books written by each Author in the authors table. It is up to the Calibre user to standardize their own libraries if they so choose.
Here is what I have from a KF8 eBook from Amazon... "Mariotte, Jeff". It's that way in Author(s) and that way in Author sort. In Author(s) another book I have is "Jeff Mariotte" and Author sort is "Mariotte, Jeff".

Would these come out as the same author? I would hope so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote