View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The same thing will/could happen on the small font size too. There is no way to fix it. Basically what is happening is that all of the text on a single "paper page" is wrapped (flowed) when it gets to the length of your screen to the next line. So, one "page" might be 2.5 screens of text. The "page" break is still there so after that 2.5 screens you have to go to the next screen to get to the top of the next page.

Personally I think the re-flow should also ignore the page breaks and make them a few lines... but that is not how they choose to do it. Possible because a new chapter would start in the middle of a "screen" of text.
I, too, would rather have chapters start inline than have big breaks every couple of pages. As Bob has implied, it's totally up to the [lousy] reader software. Despite what others have said about tagging, etc., those are all issues of work-around. In PDF eBooks, the text exists as text, and it's totally up to the reader how it handles the line beaks and page breaks.

I believe the rush to embrace PDF commercially is because it is a cross-platform DRM standard. I have no idea why self-publishing has gone in this direction, except that there are more obvious PDF-creation shareware applications than for LRF, LIT, ePUB, etc.

But the the most unfortunate thing is that manufacturers of the eBook readers have all but completely ignored the functionality of handling the text of these documents formatted for other-sized screens on their particular hardware devices. Sony begrudgingly gave us line-wrap recently. Why stop there? "Page-wrap" (to coin a phrase) is the obvious corollary.

Unless in their testing they hand-made PDF documents that were less than one page (like I just did for some testing) and NEVER REALLY TRIED TO READ AN ACTUAL BOOK WITH THEIR PRODUCT!

I have a feeling it's more complicated than that, based more on office politics and inter-company commercial negotiations than on technical functionality or user ergonomics.

- The Inspector
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote