View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Hehe... it depends. On the K5 and up, Kindlets actually are quite a nice thing.* They're easy to write, they provide a consistent UI, and they allow you to do pretty much anything (i.e., they can interact with both the Java-based, and the system part of the device) - that is, if you know what to do, and if you escape the "locked-down bumache" - but that part is trivial if you use the Kindlet jailbreak. This is why I personally prefer to write Kindlets, rather than anything else. (yes, they're mostly limited to a specific FW version, but that's also because they do very specific things which are closely coupled to the FW - especially now that Amazon re-obfuscates everything with every new release - if you stick with "pure userland" and don't try to muck with the system internals, that's much more relaxed).

(*) Not so on the K3, because that doesn't support standard Swing UI components. You'll have to reinvent the wheel for many UI things, and even then, it'll still look ugly. I'm still not sure about the K4, but my guess is that it's similar to the K3, i.e., "not good".
Good solid info.

I was thinking of the Keyboard though - because that is the advertised device on his profile. TBH: someone should just look into doing a native port now of skipstone (or something) since it's a "proven" tech route. Must spend a bit of time revisiting my (currently horrific) X-compiler mess...

Thanks for the overview and addendum. Yup on the 5 not so shabby. on the 3... well... I'll just leave that there. (EA did a decent job on Solitaire FWIW)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote