View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
sonderzeichen
sonderzeichen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Japanese support w/o proprietary formats?

Hello!

This place is an amazing resource. I've been lurking for ages, but only just registered.

I've been scouring the forum, but everything I've dug up seems to be out of date. If this has actually been covered somewhere, I'm afraid I missed it. The threads I found all seemed to hit one of my requirements, but not all of them! Apologies in advance if this is long-winded.

I currently have a Nook Simple Touch, which I love, but which won't display Japanese. That didn't matter when I initially bought it.

I live in Japan, so if there is something that's only available here, that's not a problem. I am only learning Japanese, so having the interface in English or German would be ideal, but I could live with a Japanese UI, too.

Vertical Japanese text would be nice, but isn't necessary. Here's what is:

E-ink and support for epub. I don't want to buy something that requires registration to function. You can bypass the registration on the Nook, so that was fine. All my books are either public domain or from places that sell them without DRM.

An expansion card slot and battery that can be replaced (even if it involves tools) are also key. Both of those features have been important, since I bought my Nook used with a worn out battery and recently upgraded my desktop's OS, which broke the ability to connect via USB.

I've seen some older Sonys for sale used, but only the version with advertisements, which I don't want. Am I being too picky?
sonderzeichen is offline   Reply With Quote