View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Results of a weekend of emperical invistigation (trial and error)

Well, I have finally gotten my wish to be able to use the Sigil OPF to create a true MOBI book. I had looked at the posts on Amazon's KINDLEGEN but all references only seemed to talk of using HTML files. With the information provided by pdurant and some long sessions with O'Reilly's Win 7 manual. I finally found that by a SHIFT+RIGHT CLICK on a folder, a CmdLine will be opened pointing to the folder which eliminates a lot of path entry. I don't know if this is possible in other versions of Windows.

Here is what I came up with:
1. Install KINDLEGEN into the root c:\ folder.
2. In Sigil, mark everything you wish to appear in the Mobipocket Reader CONTENTS MENU with the proper Semantics. For Start Reading, mark the section as TEXT.
3. Unzip the Sigil ePub into a working folder.
4. Open the OEBPS folder and load content.opf into an editor.
5. Go the the <guide> section at the bottom of the file and change "Text" to "Start Reading" and save and close the editor.
6. Move back up and SHIFT+RIGHT CLICK on the OEBPS folder and select OPEN COMMAND LINE HERE.
7. The CmdLine window appears pointing to the OEBPS folder.
8. Enter "c:\kindlegen content.opf" and press ENTER. KINDLEGEN runs and reports creation of a MOBI file.
9. Open the OEBPS folder and see the CONTENT.MOBI file. Rename to the book title and go.

It takes longer to describe the process than to do it. Perhaps this will help other dummys like me who dont like the Caliber version of MOBI. I'm sure that pdurrant has better procedures and can apply them to Mac and LINUX.

Many thanks to Paul.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote