View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #40
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Offhand remarks do take on a life of their own sometimes - the joys of electronic based communication without context.

In terms of your original series post - I believe Starson17 on two different threads now has given you a long list of very good reasons why this is unlikely to be attempted any time soon. You have to remember that the series field is not used in isolation for just display/sorting in the library view. The pandora's box of problems that would cascade through the rest of the app by turning it into a 1:M relationship would be immense.

If storing multiple series information is important to you, have a look into what you can do with custom columns and tags such as suggested on the "Multiple Series" thread. Personally I don't get that hung up on metadata like this. I want series info to allow me to read books in the right order and identify those I have missing. There are enough other ways to skin the cat to handle the odd series weirdness. Introducing massive complication to the UI and development for a miniscule % of books doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

Until someone can satisfactorily come up with a proposal that can address all the implications and then convince Kovid it is worth implementing, I don't think you will get much progress on this I'm afraid. But that's just my opinion both as a user and part-time Calibre developer - there are way too many other higher priority issues to be worked on.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote