View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #17
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
I've been reading on my PB360 since Xmas and love it. Compact size, ease of use, ultra-fast page turning, and an incredibly good FBReader implementation make it a dream to use.

I prefer FB2 format for most books, and frankly despise ePub, but this little baby actually makes ePub seem almost OK. Add to that the ability to open non-DRM ePubs in FBReader and you have almost all of the advantages of reading FB2, with perhaps a little worse formatting.

Mergers tend to mean compromise to some degree, especially when the companies are offering similar product classes. I would hate to see the excellent PB devices get dragged back down to another level. And I certainly hope the firmware development keeps a significant East Euro (Russian/Ukrainian) group in place, as these guys seems to know how to make good user firmware (first and foremost they support FB2 development, and they seem to do a better job with the rest of the formats as well - the LBook firmware was usually superior on the Hanlin V3 clones).

Here's hoping the commercial benefits don't kill off the great devices PB currently have out there - I'm glad I got my PB360 before this happened! Of course, I am always hopeful of a pleasant surprise...
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote